Logan Capaldo wrote:

> You've never written code to traverse some kind of tree? And if you have,
> you did it all iteratively? I would suggest _lots_ of programmers use
> recursion, even in C.

There's a big difference between an explicit stack with iterative code
and recursion with an implicit stack. I've done a lot of explicit stack
coding for walking data structures -- indeed, the last time I did so was
a recent piece of code that generates the state space of a large finite
Markov chain. But the only time I've written recursive functions as a
*preferred* modus operandi has been in Lisp, Scheme and the Lisp-based
symbolic math package Derive. And there, I've always aimed for tail
recursion.