Hi unknown,

many thanks for your helpful hints.

unknown wrote:
> You don't need to make distclean.

It looks as if I executed the distclean a bit prematurely already.

> The file .installed.list should contains the list of installed
> files.
>
>   sudo xargs rm -f < .installed.list

Thus the .installed.list doesn't contain any useful information anymore:

# cat .installed.list
/usr/local/share/man/man1/
/usr/local/share/man/man1/ruby.1

> Just remove ext/zlib/Makefile, and run make as:
>
>   env CONFIGURE_ARGS=--with-zlib-dir=/opt/iexpress/zlib/lib make

Actually, this didn't seem to be necessary.
My ordinary

# ./configure --with-zlib-dir=/opt/iexpress/zlib
--with-openssl-dir=/opt/openssl/0.9.7

from the ruby source top level dir seems to have conveyed my intention
even to ruby zlib's own Makefile

# grep -n iexpress ext/zlib/Makefile
46:CPPFLAGS = -DHAVE_ZLIB_H  -DOS_CODE=OS_UNIX
-I/opt/iexpress/zlib/include
71:libpath = $(topdir) /opt/iexpress/zlib/lib
72:LIBPATH =  -L"$(topdir)" -L"/opt/iexpress/zlib/lib"

> It is just ignored by configure itself, but passed to
> ext/zlib/extconf.rb via dir_config("zlib") call.
> Or, you can pass it as CONFIGURE_ARGS environment variable.

So it instead didn't ignore these args despite your assumption.

I just would like to complain why they simply don't mention these
configure flags in the --help dump?

An INSTALL file is missing and the README is pretty concise.

Ruby folks don't seem to be any less esoteric than the Perl folks,
contrary to subdued TIMTOWTDI adherence.

> and previosly installed files will be overwritten.

Ok, this is common unspoken Unix consent.

So I simply reissue

# make install
./miniruby  ./instruby.rb --dest-dir="" --extout=".ext"
--make="/usr/local/bin/gmake" --mflags="" --make-flags=""
--installed-list .installed.list --mantype="man"
installing binary commands
installing command scripts
installing library scripts
installing headers
installing manpages
installing extension objects
installing extension scripts

Ah, now this file also contains something more meaningful

# wc .installed.list
659 659 28569 .installed.list

and the RDoc (which takes quite a while to parse all the ruby code)

# make install-doc

After that I cd-ed back to the rubygems tree,
and reran as root

# ruby setup.rb

... loads of output ...

As of RubyGems 0.8.0, library stubs are no longer needed.
Searching $LOAD_PATH for stubs to optionally delete (may take a
while)...
...done.
No library stubs found.

Well, at least this time I'm not yet getting the errors about unloadable
zlib.

# gem -v
0.9.4

# gem list --local

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

sources (0.0.1)
    This package provides download sources for remote gem installation

Hm, I now wonder how I am supposed to configure my Gems installation
to use our Internet proxy,
or does it understand the same environment like wget or LWP and
vars such as http_proxy, no_proxy, proxy_user, proxy_passwd?

So far gem only knows about this

# gem environment
RubyGems Environment:
  - VERSION: 0.9.4 (0.9.4)
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - GEM PATH:
     - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://gems.rubyforge.org