On 7/17/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain / segment7.net> wrote:
> On Jul 17, 2007, at 12:45, snacktime wrote:
>
> > I've decided I want to become more proficient in C, so the project is
> > chose is a ruby memcache C extension.  I found the following site with
> > a hash algorithm that seems to be an improvement on the default on,
> > can anyone think of a reason why not to use this?
> >
> > http://www.last.fm/user/RJ/journal/2007/04/10/392555/
>
> A consistent hashing library is completely orthogonal from a
> memcached library.
>
> You'd be better off wrapping apr_memcache or libmemcache than writing
> yet another C memcached client.

I am wrapping libmemcache, but it looked like it was easy enough to
provide your own hashing algorithm.  This is actually just part of
some other work I'm doing on a query caching layer in activerecord,
and memcache was actually taking a significant amount of time in the
caching layer, plus I wanted to hone my C skills anyways.

Chris