On 7/17/07, Joe Wiltrout <wiltroutja / aol.com> wrote:

> > My MMORTS was frozen the moment I got a job (a few weeks after I
> > started working on it), so there's nothing to see yet (the tiles for
> > the background were almost working and that's about it). If I'd ever
> > complete it, it'd be set in a 2D world and the graphics would be
> > skinnable. So I could play a pirates RTS while you, the one fighting
> > me, would be playing something akin to Warcraft 1, seeing my units as
> > orcs. The design is VERY VERY cool. But no time for that now.
>

> Wicked. If you ever get the time, finish that. It sounds like mad fun.

Won't happen in the next nine years (yes, I know what I'll do in the
next NINE years... sad, right?). It's a hell of a complicated
programming job for a single person and I have to finish my degree BSc
and MSc (3 more years) and then have six years of army service. So no
time for grandiose projects.

But it was wickedly cool - it was a game designed to be equally fun to play by
a) commanding your units by hand
b) scripting your units with AI
and so that those who play by hand and those who script are generally
on par and can compete against each other equally and fairly.
And it was simple and fun and persistent (your units kept following
their orders if you logged off) and simple and fun :)
The client would be open source, so as to allow full customization of
the playing experience (!).

Enough telling about my idea, time's up.

Aur