Joe Wiltrout wrote:
> Hey yall experienced coders and programmer dudes. I wanna make an MMORPG
> type game, but I have no programming experiance whatsoever. Someone told
> me this was the best language to start learning with. So here I am,
> confused about everything except blog making because of that "15 minute"
> tutorial which turned out to take an hour+ for me. So I need someone to
> tell me how to get started making even a basic game. Like 2d, horrible
> graphics, the worst they can get. Like taking a game for 4 year olds,
> then taking a step back. So simple, not even I want to play it. How
> would one get started making any kind of game? And if anyone could
> supply me with information for my sub-childrens game, that be nice too.

Well, it looks like you haven't looked at this in a while. Either way,
dude, an MMORPG of even the most basic type(with graphics) like pong
online, would take way more work than you can even comprehend,
especially if you have no programming experience.

I suggest, getting together with some buddies--maybe pool some money for
a beginner's guide to Ruby--and try to figure out as much of it as you
can. Matter of fact, best to just divide up the workload(one person
works on file reading/writing/parsing and another on manipulating
classes/modules etc...). Otherwise, the amount of work in both research
and programming will be too much for a beginner(and quite a bit for an
expert).

Also, even more important, lower your standards down to something that
could be done by one hardworking person over a short period of time.
That way, you can definitely get something done and not waste all your
time trying to accomplish a task that is way beyond your level.

Great place to start: RPG Maker XP. This neat little program(programmed
in Ruby) uses it's own variation of Ruby called RGSS which is just Ruby
with a few more classes, modules and standard libraries to make your
work easier. You might find more payoff if you try that first.

Good luck from the Ruby Panda!