On 7/16/07, Raphael Gillett <r.gillett / rational.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> The pebble in the Ruby shoe is the counter-intuitive use of indexing of
> elements of arrays, strings, etc., from 0 to n-1 instead of the more
> natural 1 to n.

Well.. I do enough testing that I usually catch this oversight.. urr
undersight and work around it.  I try to accept it because I'm no
mathematician, it's not my call to make and I'm a regular person and
not a real programmer so I don't matter.. but secretly I want to punch
supporters 0 times in the nose and kick them 0 times in the nuts.

I hope I'll get used to 0-based arrays one day.  Urr.. zero day.

;)

For the comedy-deficient, that was comedy.

It's still unnerving to work with a 0-based array, because while I
begin counting with zero.. I don't attach any content to that
empty-count.  For me, to say there are 0 items is to not begin
counting.  It's as though a piece of me expects the 0 in an array to
be nil and for it to never house useful data.  I'll get over it
though.

And to argue that rewriting things "is impossible now" isn't quite
correct.  It's impossible _now_ but it's possible for Ruby 2.0 isn't
it?  Crazy, but possible.