On Jul 16, 2007, at 16:50 , Oliver wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look at the sample lib you
> suggested.
> However, I don't fully understand the reasoning of "not wrapping it".

I was just suggesting that thinking laterally might be an
alternative. Obviously not if you're using a specific 3rd party
library that you need to use. But if you just want an event engine,
we're talking a TEENY amount of code in ruby (sans-leaks, sans-cores,
sans-icky) compared to C.

> Here is my line of thinking:
>
> - the original C function register() expects an array of function
> pointers, and those functions are suppose to be user-supplied and
> implemented by C.

what users at what level/language?

> - Ideally, we should now allow those functions to be implemented by
> ruby ... is this possible at all?

I think you'd have to do some extra work to wrap up rb_funcall itself.