On Jul 16, 2007, at 2:21 AM, Michael Reiland wrote:

> SonOfLilit wrote:
>> The ruby way is to consider building any app with the requirements
>> you
>> listed as a Rails app. Is there a reason for you not to?
>>

>> Aur
>

> The project is to replace an existing desktop software solution
> targeted
> towards small to midsized companies.  I don't see any advantages to
> moving it onto the web.

Well, without knowing thing one about the problem domain, a midsized
company I often work with is hard at work moving one of their
applications to the Web for several reasons that may or may not apply
to you:

* Centralized database.  Having to constantly sync up the data on
various employee boxes has caused them a lot of grief.
* Easier software updates.  Their current desktop solution requires
them to upgrade all boxes involved at the same time.  Their employees
are spread all over the country, so that's quite a challenge.
* Simplified training for new employees.  They've found that it takes
less time to train employees to use a company Web site than it does a
custom desktop application.

I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job.  Many applications
aren't viable for a move to the Web, in my opinion.  If yours is
though, I think there are quite a few advantages to doing it.

James Edward Gray II