On Jul 16, 12:53 am, Michael Reiland <mreiland1... / yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm contemplating writing an application in Ruby but in order to do so I
> have some requirements that I hope everyone can help me out with.
>
> This is for a primarily windows application, however I'd like to keep
> the door open for Mac/Linux.
>
> 1. GUI - Native Look and Feel.  According to wxRuby the bindings aren't
> mature enough for production use.  Does anyone have any experience with
> this and/or can you offer alternatives that provide a native look and
> feel (I

The best way to handle this is to use SOC (Separation of Concerns)
keeping all you logic together separate from your interface code, then
add a dedicated GUI for each OS you want to support. You'll find that
some of the same concepts will apply to each, so once you finish one
front-end it won't be as hard to do another. Yes, this means
mantinaing more code, but you get native look and feel, and can take
advantage of any special features of each GUI.

> 2. Databases - contemplating using ActiveRecord, but I would like to use
> ODBC to support multiple types of DB's in a uniform way (if you know of
> alternatives to ODBC or ActiveRecord, please let me know).

How is ActiveRecord not uniform? ActiveRecord is a good choice. But if
you'd rather just work in SQL there is also DBI.

> 3. Binary - Are there any utilities for compiling Ruby into a binary
> executable?  The issue is twofold, speed, and not handing the customer
> the source :)

Maybe try, Ruby2exe.

T.