On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 09:34:15AM +0900, Gregory Brown wrote:
> On 7/15/07, Chad Perrin <perrin / apotheon.com> wrote:
>
> >I don't think project maintainers owe me something.  I think failing
> >utterly to produce useful documentation is kind of a strange trend to see
> >in languages that come with excellent documentation tools, and I think
> >that my time is better spent using Scruffy (which has better
> >documentation) unless I want to actually become the Gruff project
> >maintainer myself.  You're the one that assigned value judgments, whining
> >tone, and an attitude of entitlement to what I said -- not me.
> >
> >I think people who put words in my mouth really suck.
>
> You're right.  What I said came off as harsh and rude, and I apologize
> for that.  I actually  was more springboarding into the general field
> of complaints I hear about Ruby libs not being properly documented,
> and I shouldn't have made it seem like I was directing that
> frustration at you.
>
> That having been said, undocumented software can be useful to those
> who are willing to read the source.  Usually, unit tests are very
> illuminating so long as they exist, and if some examples are
> distributed with the source, that's enough to get going.  I really
> wish that users would contribute more documentation to projects,
> because often maintainers simply don't have the time.
>
> So I suppose what I'm saying is that users should meet maintainers
> half way.  When that doesn't happen, documentation doesn't get
> written.  For example... you could probably help out gruff enormously
> by asking relevant questions about things you cannot figure out easily
> from the API docs.  But if you have no time for that, well, that's
> understandable.  But I feel like all of us are only entitled to get
> back what we put in.
>
> Again, sorry for flipping out before, it was unwarranted.

Fair 'nuff.

Frankly, I'm up to my eyeballs in projects -- both my own and those to
which I've already committed to helping out in peripheral ways, such as
contributing documentation (including the fact that I'm still trying to
find time to go through the TenDRA compiler's documentation and start
writing more).  I don't have time to write the documention for every Ruby
library I want to use (slight exaggeration), though it'd be nice if I
did.  I spent the last week dealing with a webhost that kind of blew up
in my face, and am trying to get everything moved to a different webhost
now with broken database exports, et cetera.

Maybe in a week I'll look back at this and have the perspective to see
that I took what you said more harshly than intended, or more personally
than you intended.  When I wrote that reply, however, I just didn't
really take it very kindly.

Let's "kiss" and make up, or whatever the kids are doing these days.

By the way, that URL in my signature won't work until I get some more
stuff migrated to the new webhost.  Dammit.  I guess that serves as a
needed reminder. . . .