Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:17:13 +0900,
> Ralph Grothe wrote in [ruby-talk:259306]:
>> Obviously because the HP ansic compiler is only C89 aware while in the
>> said
>> function a post-C89 array assignment took place.
>
> I've thought that it is a part of C89, isn't it?

Hi Nobuyoshi,

yes, the HP ansic is C89, but the expression it couldn't deal with,
was C99 or something newer than C89 as I was told by a C hacker.
I was also told that according to C89 it wasn't allowed to assign
variables as values in a multi-value array assignment within curly
braces.
Sorry, I am no C hacker to confirm this.
Anyway, the single line assignments by indeces was a functioning
work-around.

But this problem has been solved.

What bothers me now is my obviously broken Gems installation.
Do you have any idea how I can mend it so that the path to the zlib
library files is found?

Do Ruby Gems have a central configuration file
similar to the Config.pm file in $Config{installprivlib}/CPAN/Config.pm
of a Perl installation?

With Perl this is quite a handy $CPAN::Config hashref that contains all
the details required for management of the local CPAN repository.
For instance, since I am sitting in a shielded LAN I am required to send
my  HTTP/FTP requests to the Internet via a proxy.
The $CPAN::Config hashref provides key value pairs for the proxy's URL
and authentication credentials etc.

Where would I store this an other information in Ruby Gems so that
installations of Gems from an Internet repository would work for me?