Michael Reiland wrote:
> 1. GUI - Native Look and Feel.  According to wxRuby the bindings aren't
> mature enough for production use.  Does anyone have any experience with
> this and/or can you offer alternatives that provide a native look and
> feel (I

GUI isn't my thing, sorry.

> 2. Databases - contemplating using ActiveRecord, but I would like to use
> ODBC to support multiple types of DB's in a uniform way (if you know of
> alternatives to ODBC or ActiveRecord, please let me know).

ActiveRecord does pretty well at supporting multiple types of DBs
Some currently supported adapters currently included with ActiveRecord:
DB2, Firebird, FrontBase, Mysql, OpenBase, Oracle, SQlite, MS SQL Server
(Windows only), and Sybase.  However, you can always create your own by
inheriting ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::AbstractAdapter

I've never seen it used, but OpenLink has an ODBC Adapter:
http://odbc-rails.rubyforge.org

> 3. Binary - Are there any utilities for compiling Ruby into a binary
> executable?  The issue is twofold, speed, and not handing the customer
> the source :)

I believe there is one for .NET, and I know of a couple in design or
proof-of-concept stages, but that's it. (Google: ruby compiler)

--
  Travis Warlick

  "Programming in Java is like dealing with your mom --
   it's kind, forgiving, and gently chastising.
   Programming in C++ is like dealing with a disgruntled
   girlfriend -- it's cold, unforgiving, and doesn't tell
   you what you've done wrong."