On 7/15/07, Michael Reiland <mreiland1978 / yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm contemplating writing an application in Ruby but in order to do so I
> have some requirements that I hope everyone can help me out with.
>
> This is for a primarily windows application, however I'd like to keep
> the door open for Mac/Linux.
>

> 1. GUI - Native Look and Feel.  According to wxRuby the bindings aren't
> mature enough for production use.  Does anyone have any experience with
> this and/or can you offer alternatives that provide a native look and
> feel (I

wxruby is the best that I'm aware of,  and I wouldn't even think of
creating a production windows gui with it.

> 2. Databases - contemplating using ActiveRecord, but I would like to use
> ODBC to support multiple types of DB's in a uniform way (if you know of
> alternatives to ODBC or ActiveRecord, please let me know).

Not sure what you mean by uniform.  Activerecord is pretty uniform
from the perspective of how you use it regardless of the database.
There is also ruby-dbi, similar to the perl dbi.

> 3. Binary - Are there any utilities for compiling Ruby into a binary
> executable?

No.

You might take a look at Jruby.

Chris