On 7/15/07, Joe Wiltrout <wiltroutja / aol.com> wrote:
> unknown wrote:
> > In message <bc4d126ffd61c7d7dea2b4838a95d9fe / ruby-forum.com>, Joe
> > Wiltrout writes:
> >>... I have the entire game planned out.
> >
> > You know, I used to say things like this.  When it came time to actually
> > make
> > things happen, I often found there were things I hadn't considered yet.
> >
> > :)
> >
> > -s
>
> Lemme clarify. I have what gamers experiance planned out. I have no game
> engine or combat system, etc. I have an idea of the graphics, I have an
> idea of everything the gamer cares about. Graphics, customizablity, etc.
> Don't tell me I spelled something wrong, because I don't care.
>

> --

But that wasn't the planning he was referring to, he said object
graphs, and flow structures and the like.  That is complex theory.
Sure you can easily go and download some source to a library, change a
few strings and ta-da, but eventually you will want to make changes
that the library isn't built for, and you will have to make big
changes, you may even need to write an engine from scratch and get all
your code working on it.  You should know how to do that.  Not now, I
wouldn't expect you to learn that for maybe a year if you are lucky,
but you have to be willing to go out and learn it.

You will eventually find a language, a book, a method, a structure or
something that will teach you what you need to know, and in the mean
time, you can still do things.

I challenge you to this, you are a teen as well right?  Write a
program that keeps track of homework.  All it needs to be able to do
is print out something like:
04/02 - Chem chapter 6, #1-12
and save it to a file.  Extra credit if it will do something special
to mark things due tomorrow.

This is something useful, and surprisingly fun to code (I just did it).

Also, If you want any help later on from ruby-talk, even from the
people who have been helpful and you have praised, I suggest you stop
insulting people.  The sexism is just pissing me off, I am surprised I
actually bothered to send this (hopefully) helpful post to you.
--
Chris Carter
concentrationstudios.com