On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 06:29:22AM +0900, Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <47ee04ed7a2708c7cc3a72eb14f36cc2 / ruby-forum.com>, Joe Wiltrout writes:
> >Who you calling a troll?
>
> I think he was calling you a troll.
>
> >Yall were like " Do the Hello World for the
> >rest of your life. Then when you are reincarnated as the 356 king of
> >Pakistan, you can program it to say 'You suck Hello World'." Well ya
> >know what? I found a much funner thing that is so much better than
> >Ruby.(in my opinion of course). You guys might like waiting 40 years to
> >make something, but I don't.
>
> Hyperbolic language is often considered a sign of trolling.  I would have
> suggested you stick with simple programs for, you know, a few DAYS, but
> actually stick to 'em until you understand what's going on.

More to the point, posting to a list dedicated to a specific subject
about how stupid that subject is, and how much better other subjects are,
is *very* indicative of trolling.  That applies here, with comments about
how Ruby isn't any good but Java (of all things) is so much better,
especially for someone new to programming.

> Many of us would still be waiting if we were gonna wait 40 years to make
> something.  I'm not even 40 yet.  :)

I suppose I should stop writing code.  My forty years haven't passed yet
either.

> Good luck with your programming, but if you're not doing Ruby, could you
> maybe, you know, ask about it elsewhere?  If you decide to do C, there's
> comp.lang.c and comp.lang.c.moderated, open for asking questions.  I'm sure
> there's Logo groups, and there's TONS of Java groups.

There's at least one for Logo.  I was on that list once upon a time.  It
didn't really suit my needs, though.

> See, one of the reasons people are thinking of you as a troll is that you're
> posting tons of stuff in a Ruby group that *isn't about Ruby in any way*.
> Not very courteous.

Phillip J. Haack: "Productivity is not about speed. It's about velocity.
You can be fast, but if you're going in the wrong direction, you're not
helping anyone."