David Bolen <db3l / fitlinxx.com> writes:

(just to follow up to my own posting)

> Not sure what POLS is, but the approach taken by Cygwin is actually
> pretty flexible and reasonable to me, if you realize that the entire
> point of Cygwin is POSIX emulation under Windows.    (...)

Some addition information for reference with respect to mapping
Windows directories to a POSIX filesystem would be the Cygwin users
guide, where the path conversions (as well as binary/text file
handling) is discussed starting at:

    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html

There are also some FAQ questions that relate to path handling within
the FAQ at:

    http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html

In the context of Ruby users, this is probably a little lower level
than people might want to go (since it's Ruby that is built on top of
Cygwin, and you may not otherwise be using Cygwin directly), but it
does provide some extra information about what is going on beneath the
scenes and why - generally there's always a good reason that comes out
of the desire for the best POSIX emulation.

--
-- David
 \               David Bolen            \   E-mail: db3l / fitlinxx.com  /