Dear Tim,

> Dear all,
>
> I am having problems installing rsruby, the bindings for the
> R statistical language.
> I am on an OpenSuSE 10.2, 64 bit system.
> It looked at first that everything in the
> installation went smoothly, ie the installation of R
> itself from binaries, and the installation of rsruby
> (I tried both the gems and the source code, successively),
> following the instructions on sciruby
>
> http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/sr.cgi/RubyWithRlang .
>
> But when I try to run some code, as in the example provided
> on that page, I get:
>
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/rsruby.so: libRblas.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory - /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/rsruby.so (LoadError)
>     from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rsruby.rb:2
>     from r001.rb:2:in `require'
>     from r001.rb:2
>
> 'ls' tells me that the file is there...
> I have tried appending the path, setting symbolic links,
> no result.
>
> What's going wrong? Why don't I see it?
>
> I hate this message. It's very confusing. The loader is complaining that
> it has loaded rsruby.so, but rsruby.so needs libRblas.so and the loader
> can't find libRblas.so.
>
> Probably you have installed libRblas.so in /usr/local/lib. Make sure you
> have /usr/local/lib (or whatever directory libRblas.so is in) in your
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Check out man ld.so(8) for more information about
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Thank you for your reply. I have libRblas.so installed in
/usr/lib64/R/lib and tried setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to this directory and then also appended it to /usr/local/lib, just in
case ... but this didn't work .. I am still getting the same error.
Also, I came across some warning against setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH at all:

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Admin/ld-lib-path.html

But I'd be prepared to do many things to get R and Ruby to work together
;-(

What else could I do ?

Best regards,

Axel