On Jul 14, 2007, at 3:39 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 04:19:41AM +0900, Stephen Cox wrote:
>> Joe Wiltrout wrote:
>>> I'v heard that programming better graphic
>>> games like WoW would be..
>>

>> You're kidding right? WoW is written in C++ (Objective C for Mac
>> which
>> is C++). Lua (another scripting language) is embedded and is used for
>> moding by Blizzard and the community. Games have to be fast and work
>> closely with hardware (like graphic cards). They are witten in the
>> lowest language you can hire. Right now, that's c/c++. Though be
>> fun to
>> see WoW written in Assembler. But good luck finding programmers.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "Objective C for Mac which is C++".
> Objective C and C++ are two entirely separate languages.  Both are (in
> theory at least) object oriented extensions of C, but they take very
> different approaches to it with substantially different ideas of
> how to
> accomplish that object orientation.  ObjC is also an actual proper
> superset of C, whereas C++ is not, strictly speaking.
>
> In fact, Objective C's object model might be said to have more in
> common
> with Ruby's than with C++'s.
>
> If you didn't mean that ObjC is C++ for the Mac, then I apologize for
> misunderstanding.
>
> --
> CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.apotheon.org ]
> Ben Franklin: "As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of
> others
> we should be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any
> Invention of
> ours, and this we should do freely and generously."

Objective C does have some similarity to Ruby, but that's because
both inherited similar object ideas from SmallTalk.
But Obj-C is still a strict superset of C. There is also Obj-C++
which is not as clearly a superset of C++ (some C++ doesn't work in
Obj-C++)

That said, Obj-C is about to undergo its biggest changes since it was
created, Objective-C 2.0 is coming with the new OS X in the Fall. It
is going to be garbage collected by default, which should make the
writing of code much less troublesome. And it may make it more Ruby-
like, but it is still a strongly typed language, even though it
allows you to do things with objects similar to Ruby, by checking at
run-time if an object responds to some method call.