On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 08:07:01AM +0900, Lionel Bouton wrote:

> Seems you are implementing an MoM (Message oriented Middleware) on your own.

It's creeping into that territory, yes.

> Threads may be a little overkill for such a system.

Agreed.  However I wanted to go the path of least resistance, and
building something on top of drb which uses threads internally was the
right direction to go.  This, of course, is all assuming nobody else has
produced a system that's adaptable to my needs.

> I'm currently working on stompserver and the "topic" system  might be
> a good choice (depending on the constraints on you client side).
> Stompserver isn't the only solution around. ReliableMessaging is another
> that might even be better suited to your needs as it is based on Drb
> too, see
> http://trac.labnotes.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/Ruby/ReliableMessaging

Thanks for the pointers, I'll definitely take a look at these and see if
they're workable alternatives.  I really don't want to reinvent the
wheel if I don't have to.