Matt Greer wrote:
> On 7/13/07, Joe Wiltrout <wiltroutja / hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Because the topic at hand was never
>> addressed really. The original question was how would I get started
>> making a game if I had no prior coding experiance?. And I haven't
>> received much on that subject.
>

> How do you start? With this
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main() {
>     printf("Hello World!\n");
>     return 0;
> }
>

> or, if you prefer Ruby:
>
> puts("Hello World!");
>

> You're talking to a mailing list full of professional and/or very
> talented
> developers. You really don't think people here have an idea of what it
> takes
> to make something like an MMORPG? Believe me, they do. The advice you
> are
> getting is dead on. Learn how to program first. Then learn how to make
> games. If it was really as easy as you want it to be, don't you think
> everyone would be making MMORPGs?
>
> Matt

How the hell is Hello World going to help me make a game? For gods sake,
no-one in the game is going to be saying Hello World. I might even
censor it because it is so damn annoying. And what exactly am I going to
learn to program? People tell me to learn to program, but they don't say
what to learn how to program? Am I programming a window to turn pink? Am
I programming a website? NO! I'm programming a damn sandwich as Ham
Turkey Cheese, or making something say Hello World. No, not even that.
I'm not even making something say it. I am typing all sorts of texts,
just to make the computer re-type Hello World. All these tutorials and
your useless advice is getting me nowhere. Because I don't understand
this stuff. I asked for help, not lectures about Learn To Program!. And
last time I checked, a great many people made MMORPGs. Because ya know
what? Blizzard Entertainment has over 100 people coding WoW at any given
time, in any given place.