On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 12:05:23 +0900, Joe Wiltrout <wiltroutja / hotmail.com> wrote:
> If your definition of daemon matches mine of Demon, then I think that
> demon is far from satanic.

The term is a little overloaded; while daemon and demon share an etymology,
the former spelling was chosen to unambiguously refer to greek notions about
lower demigods (rather than fallen angels), and they mean different things
at this point.

> It's origins maybe be from biblical history,
> but people now-a-days use the terms "demon" and "demonic" just to mean
> evil. And they use them alot in video games.

As far as I can tell, these days a lot of culturally illiterate fantasy
authors (up to and including a lot of game writers) simply use "demon"
to mean a sort of monster, whether evil or ambivalent.

-mental