On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 02:05:52PM +0900, Joe Wiltrout wrote:
> John Joyce wrote:
> > Master / Slave is a device status on a device controller. It is
> > usually with hard drives.
> > On many older shared controllers you could plug in two devices (hard
> > drive, optical drive, floppy, etc...)
> > One connector was the master, and it got priority communication with
> > the system (and generally more bandwidth) the other device was a
> > slave and got less.
> > In the 90's it became controversial although the term was around for
> > a LONG time and only implied the relationship between the devices.
>

> It does seem rather offensive when you say put it that way. I think the
> term should be changed. Maybe Parent/Child, or Teacher/Student, or
> CEO/Mail Clerk.
>
> All less offensive, all same meaning. Depending on what kind of parents
> you had. Master/Pupil. Theres another one.

I *really* don't think the IT industry in general is going to stop
calling them "master" and "slave" drives any time soon.  You'd be about
as likely to get people to change "client" and "server" to "red" and
"black", or "functional" and "object oriented" to "poppy" and
"sunflower".  These are not terms that just came into use last week.

Marvin Minsky: "It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer could
actually spend Saturday afternoon watching a football game."