unknown wrote:
> In message <3086e6b698191ec82127967a5cb62076 / ruby-forum.com>, Joe
> Wiltrout writes:
>>I sorta have no money to use on books and the like. I was hoping I could
>>avoid buying anything by consulting the greater population of Ruby
>>programmers. Maybe get someone to post a link to a good website that
>>dumbs the tutorials down enough for me to understand. And who knows?
>>Maybe I will get good enough that I will be able to go over to C++ and
>>not be this stupid. But I have heard that text-based games are easier to
>>make than games with moving graphics, so I might start off with a Sky
>>Pirate text-based game instead. It all depends whats easiest for a
>>beginner.
>
> If you wanna write text adventures, my recommendation would be Inform 6.
> (I don't like 7 as much.)  It's a domain-specific language, but gets a
> lot of advantages from it; on the other hand, it is probably by far the
> quirkiest language I've ever used.
>
> Ruby's a nice generic language for learning things.  You can find
> Pine's learning to program online, although I couldn't swear that it's
> word-for-word identical to the printed book.
>
> Depending on what kind of "no money" is involved, if it's possible for
> you
> to save up a few bucks here and there, it's not that hard to get a good
> reference or something, and it is VERY useful.  (You might consider the
> PDF version of the PickAxe, which is cheaper than paper.)
>
> -s

And would this 'Inform 6' be harder than Ruby? Because I don't even get
Ruby very well. And what's this 'Text Adventure' type thing? If you mean
text-based game, then I'll check it out. And say I was going to make
some sort of 2-d but still good graphic game, would it be possible in
Ruby, or would I have to use C++ or Java or something else? And could
you post a link to this Pines Learning to program? Because if it is as
helpful as you imply it to be, I would very much like to see it. And
define Quirky. I need to know what you mean before I go and confuse
myself on another coding language.