> J> When reading it with IO.readlines, a newline is appended.
>
>  Are you sure that this is ruby which has added the newline ?

You are right. I never noticed that vi put a newline in the
file, even if I put only a single character in. Yuck, I thought
vi wouldn't to that! In fact, it took some doing to get the
single char in there:

echo 'a' > t; ls -l t
-rw-r--r--  1 jfreeze  sm  2 Nov 20 11:40 t
printf 'a' > t; ls -l t
-rw-r--r--  1 jfreeze  sm  1 Nov 20 11:41 t

Thanks

> pigeon% ls -l t
> -rw-r--r--    1 ts       ts              1 Nov 20 17:14 t
> pigeon%
>
> pigeon% irb
> irb(main):001:0> IO.readlines("t")
> ["a"]
> irb(main):002:0>
> pigeon%
>

> Guy Decoux

Jim Freeze
jim / freeze.org
Today is a fine day for Ruby programming.
http://www.freeze.org