Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:25868] Re: ANN: regex engine development (was: Re: Why not xmlparser?)"
    on 01/11/20, "Bill Kelly" <billk / cts.com> writes:

|One thing I've been wondering: would it be the case that Ruby runs
|always with BYTEWIDTH set to 8 in regex.h?  I'm getting the sense so
|far that a BYTEWIDTH != 8, while it ought to "work", might be somewhat
|at odds with the "spirit" of the multibyte character implementation.
|(Actually, and I see the tables have only 256 entries :-)

Ruby uses multibyte characters (characters represented by sequence of
(8bit) bytes), not wide characters (characters represented by fixed
width integers wider than 8bit).  BYTEWIDTH is merely a symbol for 8.
It's not suppose to be changed.

							matz.