In message "[ruby-talk:00256] Syntax Error help please"
    on 99/03/23, "bryce" <thecrow / cyberdude.com> writes:

|So far I haven't found an error in my code but I keep
|getting:
|    return appeared outside of method (SyntaxError)

Wait a minute.  This message appears that error caused within eval().
Oh, I see.  You may have called something like

  def foo
    eval "return"
  end
  foo

You can't return from within eval() in the current implementation.
This limitation may be removed in the future implementation.

                                                matz.