Hi,

Dave Thomas writes:
# matz / netlab.co.jp (Yukihiro Matsumoto) writes:
#
# > Their's only one I18N policy for Ruby.
# >
# >   It should not cause me trouble handling Japanese.
#
# I'm totally ignorant about these issues. Is Unicode bad for Japanese?

You might find the following FAQ useful. It deals with Unicode (and
some Japanese) from Perl design/development/support perspectives.

    http://rf.net/~james/perli18n.html

IIRC Perl's new (5.6.0) support for Unicode is supposed to be a Very
Important Feature (tm) for dealing with XML in what you might call an
industrial-strength international-enterprise-interconnectivity-ready
manner.

Conrad Schneiker