On Jul 11, 2007, at 8:00 AM, tobyclemson / gmail.com wrote:

> Well it was actually quite a small one off script but it led me to
> wondering... Yes John, I want it to fall through like C - is that
> possible? Thanks Robert for the useful alternative method. I'm pretty
> new to Ruby and haven't actually got so far as to thinking of
> everything in terms of classes so this was just a small script written
> procedurally rather than in a class based way.

Nope. That's why I asked.
The fall through in C's switch-case block is exactly something that
doesn't happen in Ruby.
The Ruby switch-case is of course different, perhaps that's why Matz
changed the naming of it to case-when.
It has no fall through.
case-when(s)-else-end

The else provides a default if no matching 'when'
It's not quite the same as a fall through.

It's different from C, but this control mechanism is usually
different in different languages, it seems.

C's switch-case block is really nothing more than a series of if-else
statements.
C's else is sometimes more like 'also' (as far as I remember, it's
been a while)
Ruby's case-when is not the same.