I think I have this problem figured out... anyone who knows more about
Ruby than my beginners level, feel free to comment.

This seems to work.

module Foo

   def new(*)
      # Can't do anything here yet since we don't have
      # have a valid object instance created yet.
      super
      # Do some stuff here...
   end

   def initialize(*)
      # Something by default so constructors don't complain
      # if the class mixing in this module doesn't have an
      # "initialize defined.

class Bar

   include Foo

   def initialize
      # do some initialization stuff here...

class Something < Foo

   def initialize(some_parm=nil)
      # some stuff here, but want new from the parent called
      # implicitly...

Thanks,

Mike

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 11:10:32AM +0900, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I know about how initialize works, but on page 233 of the Pickaxe book
> it describes somewhat of what I want to do.
>
> Actually, let me clarify.  I don't want the user of the class to have to
> worry about overriding "initialize in my parent class.
>
> I actually want the code in a module which can be used asa mixin with an
> include.
>
> Better example:

[Better example which seems to work above...]

--
Michael P. Sullivan
Distributed Computing Systems, LLC                         Cell: 516-429-2080