From: "Yukihiro Matsumoto" <matz / ruby-lang.org>

[...]
> on 01/11/20, "Bill Kelly" <billk / cts.com> writes:
> |I am trying my hand at rewriting it, although still in straight 'C'.
>
> |But this does give me the chance to ask, and now would seem to
> |be a good time to do so: Is anyone else out there also working
> |on an re engine rewrite?  Wouldn't want to duplicate a lot of
> |work(!)
>
> Great.  I was dreaming rewriting it in "C" for weeks (still not
> started).  If you start the project, I can sleep well. ;-)

That you be well-rested is of paramount importance to us all.  I shall
start the project this instant.  :-)

> There's M17N requirement for Ruby's regex (for example Japanized
> version of PHP uses this routine), but I can hack your version once
> you've done, like I did for the GNU version.

OK.  I have looked at the multibyte character support a little.
I will keep it in mind...
One thing I've been wondering: would it be the case that Ruby runs
always with BYTEWIDTH set to 8 in regex.h?  I'm getting the sense so
far that a BYTEWIDTH != 8, while it ought to "work", might be somewhat
at odds with the "spirit" of the multibyte character implementation.
(Actually, and I see the tables have only 256 entries :-)

Regards,

Bill