On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 01:51:34AM +0900, khaines / enigo.com wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, Gregory Brown wrote:
>
> >That's the reasonable argument against the name.   My concern is that
> >many folks in the thread assumed "God == Christianity" and that is
> >extremely offensive to me.
>
> Going with that, using "god" as the name of a software package is likely
> as offensive to Muslims and Jews, as well.  Heck, the religious Jews I
> know won't even type 'God', preferring 'G-d' or something similar instead.

On the other hand, "god" is a generic term for a deity.  Some religions
have many gods.  I think the perspective of most monotheists is
unnecessarily limited to the point that they often do not think of the
fact that there are other, entirely valid, meanings to some of the words
their religions have appropriated.

Thomas McCauley: "The measure of a man's real character is what he would do
if he knew he would never be found out."