On 7/10/07, Todd Burch <promos / burchwoodusa.com> wrote:
> Florian Frank wrote:
>
> > Why? At least now the name refers to *something*.
>
> I've never seen a "name" that didn't refer to something.  Perhaps you
> meant "implies" something.  And yes, it implies a sense of arrogance on
> Tom's part.
>
> And your comment, Benj, about the Gaming industry already doing it - so
> it must be "ok"...  and your initial thoughts on objections for the use
> of the name, and then signing as "mostly agnostic"... You sir - have
> given me the best laugh of the day!  Your first thoughts must have come
> from your non-"mostly agnostic" side, and by the definition of agnostic,
> you are uncertain anyway.  So, your post is a trip, (a riot, it's
> hilarious), anyway you look at it!  And yes, in this case, it's
> perfectly relevant.
>
> Perhaps its my age (44), which to some might suggest a certain level of
> maturity and/or discretion, but I would have spent a bit more mental
> time to come up with a name, like I said before, that was more
> appropriate, or perhaps, OK, I'll quit beating around the bush on my
> real feelings - less inappropriate.
>
> But, being a candidate for an old fuddy-duddy, I could be looking at
> this all wrong too.  With God (the real one) being taken out of schools,
> and His commandments being taken out of our courthouses, and in all the
> other ways society has found to remove or otherwise pidgeon-hole God out
> of our lives, perhaps this reference, however infinitesimally minute in
> the scheme of things, will raise someone's curiosity enough to do some
> exploration for themselves on the matter.

Okay, I have to be honest.   What about the non-Judaic practitioners
in the US?  Frankly, I'm glad that "His" commandments are no longer in
courthouses in a country where free religious exercise is supposed to
be practiced.

As far as schools, same things go there.  I don't think the state has
a place in picking the spiritual views for students, that seems to
really push the envelope if you ask me.

It seems like you used the name of this library which really is just
clever and appropriate as a soap stand for your particular religious
beliefs, and it seems pretty far out of the scope of discussion here.
 We've had religious discussions here in the past, and I think they
can be quite interesting, but let's at least break the thread at this
point so those looking for technical content don't find themselves
disappointed.

-greg