On Jul 9, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Yield should be renamed call_block"
>     on Mon, 9 Jul 2007 23:59:35 +0900, Bharat Ruparel
> <bruparel / mercury.com> writes:
>
> |1.  I have to plead ignorance.  I do not know the language history
> very
> |well.  What is CLU?
>
> CLU is a programming language designed in MIT back in 70s.  CLU has a
> functionality called an iterator which fundamentally equals to a
> method call with a block in Ruby, except that a iterator must be
> called within a for statement.  For more information, Google is your
> friend.

> 							matz.

Since I learned CLU when I was at MIT, I'll help you out a bit here.

http://www.lcs.mit.edu/publications/pubs/pdf/MIT-LCS-TR-561.pdf

There is a lot of syntactic sugar in CLU also, although it isn't quite
as general in some places as in Ruby. CLU had three types of
abstraction: procedural, data, and iteration which were wrapped up in
a "cluster" (from which the language name comes).

Unfortunately, the courses that used to use CLU, started using
Java some years ago. ;-(

-Rob

Rob / AgileConsultingLLC.com