On 7/5/07, Robert Dober <robert.dober / gmail.com> wrote:

> > It is in my opinion off topic. Ruby is only very tangentially related to
> > your question, you're are not even asking about ruby plugins for Eclipse,
> > except in the sense you happen to be using them. I also do not mind the
> > occasional diversion, but I agree with Gregory Brown, it would be courteous
> > (and easy!) for you to put an [OT] tag on your subject line (or even a
> > [Slighty OT]).
> >
> I strongly disagree with Gregory's and Logan's POV.
> We had so much more OT stuff, I feel that this is not OT at all, BTW
> it does not interest me a tiny little bit, but there is a difference
> between OT and Does not interest me.
>
> Furthermore I do not remember any post of bad form or content by
> David, if you have an issue with David, maybe you can handle it OL?

Actually, I have no issue at all with David.  I thought that my
suggestion was a polite one, but I can see how it could be
misinterpreted.  I'm just thinking that with all the possible editors
with Ruby modes, maybe we'd end up with way more traffic than we can
handle if we started fielding a bunch of non-ruby questions.

I mean, the question was about configuring SVN, not about something
like "matching do/end braces or Ruby syntax coloring".  That to me
feels like the kind of question that would be much better asked on a
project's own forums or mailing lists.  It just so happens that Aptana
has a very active community[0], so all the better.

As I mentioned, I have no problem with posts like that here because
they definitely might be interesting to some of our readers.  But
they're not on the topic of Ruby.  They're on the topic of how to
configure a tool that can be used in Ruby development and might be
used by a minority of our readers here.  That to me is off topic, or
at least tangental.  Indicating it in the subject line is not a rule,
just a matter of politeness.  (And an easy thing to do!)

I disappeared for a while because I was having trouble keeping up with
RubyTalk, but now I'm trying very hard to keep up again.  Small
courtesies go a long way in helping make the list more easily
readable.

-greg

[0] http://www.aptana.com/forums/