On Jul 4, 2007, at 8:00 PM, Zoltan Dezso wrote:

> Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
>> You don't say anything about the style of your application itself.
>> Is it
>> the
>> kind of forms-driven site with a newly-developed domain model that is
>> generally a good fit for Rails? Apart from a Japanese-language issue,
>> you
>> don't say what has guided your choice of a framework (or no
>> framework).
>> If
>> you have really decided to generate your dynamic content from Ruby
>> unassisted by a framework, then there are several high-performance
>> deployment options for you to consider.
>>
>> I'd look at Kirk Haines's Swiftiply.
>
> Hi. It's not like I had too much choice in the beginning. The company
> started using ruby in 2000 when rails was not an option. Since then a
> fairly large codebase was built bit-by-bit that generates sites for
> mobile sites. Unfortunately japanese mobile sites are anything but
> standards compliant (frankly, this whole mess is so wrong on so many
> levels, that i don't even know where to start. You can forget about
> unicode and the only encoding all phones support is the one that is
> the
> least safe for every reason possible, then there is the problem of
> special characters built on top of this encoding (pictograms,
> emoticons), we have to take extra caution even on this base level -
> and
> the list of supported tags in html is so varying, they had to write a
> couple of books on the differences only - i hope japanese mobile
> providers will someday realize that using normal XHTML would be so
> much
> more beneficial to everyone. Then there's the issue of authentication
> that is done differently for all carriers (we have to take the ID
> stored
> on the phone - forget login screens and clever sessions, cookies
> etc...). Finally (for this very short look into the abyss) there's the
> problem of a certain provider that only supports apache with their
> proprietary download engine - which is probably built by 8-year-olds
> looking at the architecture, but that's a different story entirely)
>
> So for me - while I really really like it - rails does not seem to
> be an
> option unless i go in there and tweak the hell out of it myself, or
> fork/merge it - but regarding that we scarecely have enough time to
> finish our projects on time (again another issue completely) that's
> highly unlikely :)
> Also, a constraint is that for one site, i can only have one server
> without a huge reorg - and with the risks involved, i'd doubt
> topmanagement would approve.
>
> So thanks everyone for the comments. For now, I will be looking
> into the
> mongrel solution.
>
> --

Hey Zoltan, don't worry much longer,
a few phones on the japanese market now display normal sites via Opera.
Thanks to the new pressure from iPhone you can expect handset makers
and service providers in Japan to be changing soon.
The special emoticons too are going to be thrown out or standardized,
there is already some translation of them between providers (not much
unfortunately).
But Unicode support has been a big problem in Japan and not just on
mobile sites, normal web sites as well.
Unicode support has been driven largely by Apple and Microsoft in
Japan, even though the JIS standards organization pushed to get SJIS
(shift-JIS) included as part of the Unicode standard. It's coming.
faster than W3C initiatives. Luckily, market pressures on handset
makers in Japan is always strong so they've been fairly agile in
meeting demands. (they've got great engineers who work late every day)