Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
> You don't say anything about the style of your application itself. Is it
> the
> kind of forms-driven site with a newly-developed domain model that is
> generally a good fit for Rails? Apart from a Japanese-language issue,
> you
> don't say what has guided your choice of a framework (or no framework).
> If
> you have really decided to generate your dynamic content from Ruby
> unassisted by a framework, then there are several high-performance
> deployment options for you to consider.
>
> I'd look at Kirk Haines's Swiftiply.

Hi. It's not like I had too much choice in the beginning. The company
started using ruby in 2000 when rails was not an option. Since then a
fairly large codebase was built bit-by-bit that generates sites for
mobile sites. Unfortunately japanese mobile sites are anything but
standards compliant (frankly, this whole mess is so wrong on so many
levels, that i don't even know where to start. You can forget about
unicode and the only encoding all phones support is the one that is the
least safe for every reason possible, then there is the problem of
special characters built on top of this encoding (pictograms,
emoticons), we have to take extra caution even on this base level - and
the list of supported tags in html is so varying, they had to write a
couple of books on the differences only - i hope japanese mobile
providers will someday realize that using normal XHTML would be so much
more beneficial to everyone. Then there's the issue of authentication
that is done differently for all carriers (we have to take the ID stored
on the phone - forget login screens and clever sessions, cookies
etc...). Finally (for this very short look into the abyss) there's the
problem of a certain provider that only supports apache with their
proprietary download engine - which is probably built by 8-year-olds
looking at the architecture, but that's a different story entirely)

So for me - while I really really like it - rails does not seem to be an
option unless i go in there and tweak the hell out of it myself, or
fork/merge it - but regarding that we scarecely have enough time to
finish our projects on time (again another issue completely) that's
highly unlikely :)
Also, a constraint is that for one site, i can only have one server
without a huge reorg - and with the risks involved, i'd doubt
topmanagement would approve.

So thanks everyone for the comments. For now, I will be looking into the
mongrel solution.