On Jul 3, 2007, at 1:58 AM, Zoltan Dezso wrote:
> My company has just lost a server recently due to the high load (~8
> per
> second, WTF?) Former company (with PHP and Java), we used to serve
> hundreds of pages and neither language is very light.
>

> Our options are: Eruby (is this even maintained anymore?), Mod_ruby
> (is
> this working well, is it performant?), FCGI (might work). What's
> not an
> option: Mongrel (no ssl breaks the deal), Rails, Do nothing (either we
> can make ruby make faster and more scalable, or bye-bye ruby -
> personally, i love this language, would be a heartbreak to see it go,
> but business is business).

 From what I've seen concerning performance issues, Apache proxying
to a cluster of mongrels is the way to go. Your apache can handle the
SSL connection and can load balance across any number of mongrel
instances across any number of machines. Mongrel itself does not
handle SSL, but put them behind your firewall and you're set.

Do you have hardware limitations? (i.e. only one server etc?)

Another option that I had briefly experimented with was using a
Lighttpd-fcgi stack that did way better than Apache-fcgi, although I
haven't seen much talk of Lighttpd lately.

http://www.lighttpd.net/

--
Craig Beck

AIM: kreiggers