Kenneth Ll wrote:
>> % irb
>> irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
>> => false
>> irb(main):002:0> require 'active_support'
>> => true
>> irb(main):003:0> 1.hour
>> => 3600
>>

> both are needed huh?  is there a way just to include one module?  (such
> as when including 1 and it detects it lacks the other one, then it will
> include the other one too).
>
> so i think the other way
>
> ruby script/console
>
> will work too huh?  (my ruby was set up with rails last time but right
> now it doesn't have the PATH to do things any more...)

Typically you do something external to Ruby to ensure that rubygems is
always loaded. Then you can stop worrying about it. The easiest thing to
do is set the RUBYOPTS environment variable to the value "rubygems". How
you set the variable depends on the shell you're using. If you're using
bash, for example, do this:

export RUBYOPTS=rubygems

If you're using another shell there will be a slightly different command.

--
RMagick OS X Installer [http://rubyforge.org/projects/rmagick/]
RMagick Hints & Tips [http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=1618]