I like the formatting one gets by

  require 'pp'
  pp foo() # etc.

In my application however, I don't want the pp-formatted string to be
printed, but to be returned as a string to my application. Searching
the Net, I came up with the following solution (Example):

  require 'pp'
  result=foo(bar)
  $my_message="The function call foo("+
      bar.pretty_print_inspect+
      ") returned: "+result.pretty_print_inspect

This works well most of the time, for example if the values formatted
with pretty_print_inspect are arrays or numbers. I get, however, a
runtime error when calling for String:

  "abc".pretty_print_inspect
RuntimeError: pretty_print is not overridden for String

Is there a different way to use the module pp, so that its output goes
to a string?

Ronald
--
Ronald Fischer <ronald.fischer / venyon.com>
Phone: +49-89-452133-162