> Thank you for your response, Brian. Actually what i am trying to do is
> that use the string value I get from DB as an argument in another
> statement. eg:
>
>         conn = OCI8.new('user', 'pwd', 'testingDB.com')
>         cursor=conn.exec("Select name
>                     From empl
>                     Where ssn=123456789")

          r = cursor.fetch    # fetch just one row

>         cursor.close
>         conn.logoff
>
>         myLogin1 = Login.new
          myLogin1.setup("http://www.testing.com/", r[0], "pwd")

That's one solution. Useful for debugging is 'puts r.inspect', or 'p r' for
short, to see what r actually contains.

Or you might write:

          cursor = conn.exec("Select username, password from foo where id=1234")
          username, password = *cursor.fetch
          cursor.close
          myLogin1.setup("http://www.testing.com/", username, password)

Or:

          cursor = conn.exec("Select username, password from foo where id=1234")
          row = cursor.fetch_hash
          cursor.close
          myLogin1.setup("http://www.testing.com/", row['USERNAME'], row['PASSWORD'])

Brian.