Thank you for your response, Brian. Actually what i am trying to do is
that use the string value I get from DB as an argument in another
statement. eg:

        conn = OCI8.new('user', 'pwd', 'testingDB.com')
        cursor=conn.exec("Select name
                    From empl
                    Where ssn=123456789)
        while r = cursor.fetch()
        cursor.close
        conn.logoff

        myLogin1 = Login.new
        myLogin1.setup("http://www.testing.com/", *****, "pwd")

  ***** this is where i want to put the string value from DB. That's
supposed to be a user name. How could i do that? I have spent so much
time on it. Could anyone help?

Thanks,
Maung