In message <36CB3706-B642-4226-B7B0-D972F6CAD7AA / ameritech.net>, Morton Goldber
g writes:
>There are those who want to be language lawyers and those who enjoy
>using powerful and elegant tools to get computers to do interesting
>things[*]. Which are you? If you are one of the former, I can only
>suggest you find another programming language. Good luck.

>[*] The set may well have a non-void intersection, but I doubt there
>are any dedicated Ruby programmers there.

I don't know about that.  I would consider myself a language lawyer sort
(I was on the C committee for most of a decade on my own dime as a hobby,
and will likely resume now that I have a job such that I can afford to do
so), and I think Ruby is awesome.  Some of the boundaries work out in
surprising ways, most noticably
	x = 3
	a.each { |x| oops }
but in general I think it's an excellent language, and for the sorts of
things Ruby is good for, it's my current default choice.  (No one, I think,
will consider me less sincere in my admiration for Ruby if I admit no
plans to use it for drivers on embedded boards.)

-s