On Jun 26, 11:51 am, Morton Goldberg <m_goldb... / ameritech.net> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2007, at 5:00 AM, David Rush wrote:
> > I CAN'T FIND A BLOODY ACCURATE AND UP TO DATE LANGUAGE DEFINITION
> >
> > I have to be missing something obvious. What am I missing?
>
> The pickaxe book.

I have downloaded the free version. It is quite good, but it lacks a
certain technical rigor. Or perhaps it is just organized in a way
which is opaque to someone who is used to the more traditionally
organized specifications. I mean chatty is OK if you want to motivate
someone, but when you need accurate information with a minimum of
search overhead, I prefer a more traditional format.

It actually appears to me that the state of Ruby from a technical
specification POV is really quite immature. I mean, is there even a
BNF for the grammar? How about railroad diagrams?

david rush
--
language-theoretical whinger extraordinaire