On 6/24/07, Ruby Quiz <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
> The LSRC organizers would like us to build name picking applications they can
> choose from.  The functionality is very basic:

My design goals were:

 * What can I do in an hour?
 * How can I avoid graphics design, which I suck at?
 * How can I minimize (to zero, if possible) gems, add-ons, etc?

My solution is a dead simple WEBrick servlet thingy that poaches the
stylesheet and images from the conference website. It uses a YAML
input file of names and attributes, and an ERB template to display the
result. Every time you reload the page you get a new name.

It keeps track of the names that have been served (saved to a file, so
it survives a restart of the app). I wasn't sure what to do when it
ran out of names, so I'm currently just clearing the save file and
restarting the serving of names (if there are more door prizes than
attendees?).

Here's the app: http://pastie.caboo.se/73618 (save as name_picker.rb)

Here's a sample data file: http://pastie.caboo.se/73619 (save as names.yml)

Run the app: ruby name_picker.rb names.yml

Point your browser to http://localhost:4242/