Aaron Smith wrote:
> MenTaLguY wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:58:45 +0900, Aaron Smith
>> <beingthexemplary / gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Do you think the de/serialization times could be noticeably improved?
>>> Compared to trying to figure out why the String#== is called so much?
>>
>> I didn't have much time to look at the profile carefully last night, but
>> the
>> impression I got was that a lot of the string comparison that was
>> happening
>> was coming from WEBrick.
>>
>> (I would be curious how much difference using Mongrel versus using
>> WEBrick makes.)
>>
>> -mental
>
> Interesting, I'll get that set up and test some more. I've also got
> LightTPD working, I'll do some profiling with that as well.
>
> Thanks

Hey mental,

Here is a Mongrel code profile of that same mysql cal that returns 3000
records..
http://blog.rubyamf.org/profiling/mongrel_mysql3000_graph.txt

the String#== method is still called 5 million times. Thats strange.
I've been trying to figure out where its coming from but can't quite pin
point it. I'll be poking around some more.. Anymore thoughts?

Also, what do you think about all the delegation that is happening to
the BinaryString Mixins? Seems like it's not a huge performance hit but
generally there are 3-4 method calls before any actual BinaryStirng
operation is happening (such as writing the packed bytes onto the
string).. I know someone had mentioned that method calls in Ruby are
taxing. Any thoughts?

Thanks man
Aaron