On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Bill Schottstaedt wrote:

> I recently added Ruby as an embedded language in my sound editor
> Snd, available at
>
> ftp://ccrma-ftp.stanford.edu/pub/Lisp/snd-5.tar.gz
> http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/snd/
>
> The underlying library of sound/audio stuff (sndlib) could be used
> as a Ruby module, I assume, but I haven't tried that.  This is all
> brand-new, still has gaps, etc.

This is really cool Bill, thanks!

I'd really encourage you to go ahead (maybe with SWIG?) and make the
underlying sndlib accessible from Ruby. Ruby's audio support has been
lacking for far to long now. A year or so back I had plans for some basic
stuff to be able to do speech recognition stuff from Ruby. However,
other projects take my time. Do you know the state of the art in that
area? Are there some free stuff we can add as extensions?

Speech synthesis and recognition is something I'm really waiting for to
happen in the computer industry. Would be lovely if one could play with
it from Ruby.

Regards,

/Robert Feldt