Lyle Johnson wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2007, at 11:38 PM, Dave Lilley wrote:
>
>> program
>> and i get the LoadError.
>
> Right. When you say "the Ruby book that comes with Ruby 1.8.6 win32",
> I'm going to assume you're talking about "Programming Ruby" (a.k.a.
> the Pickaxe book).

You are correct. Also i know that this was the first edition so i
thought maybe there was some differences between the version of ruby it
was realsed for and this current release.

> Now that you've created the Song class, you want to test it by
> creating a new Song instance. To do that, add this line to the end of
> your program (Song.rb), after the class definition:
>
>   aSong = Song.new("here", "come frank", 60)
>
> In the Pickaxe book, there's a similar example that uses the song
> "Bicyclops" by Bela Fleck. Now, the discussion in the Pickaxe book
> doesn't make this point very clear, but for you to actually see any
> output from this program, you're going to need to add at least one
> more line:
>
>   puts aSong.inspect

Never thought of this as a problem!
as always it's the simple things you over look that cause the problems.

> So the entire contents of the file Song.rb should now look something
> like this:
>
>   class Song
>     def initialize(name, artist, duration)
>       @name = name
>       @artist = artist
>       @duration = duration
>     end
>   end
>
>   aSong = Song.new("here", "come frank", 60)
>   puts aSong.inspect
>
> Now if you run this at the command prompt by typing:
>
>   ruby Song.rb
>
> You should see some output like this:
>
>   #<Song:0x52c970 @duration=60, @name="here", @artist="come frank">
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Lyle

visited the ruby online tutorial last night and found it great!!
but i  am wondering why when i tried doing something from either the
pickaxe book or a online pdf the interactive shell wouldn't allow me to
do the same things!

one was to create a def (still i'll check this out better another
night).

thanks for the help so far and in the famous words of arnie I'll be
back!

dave.