Pe?a wrote:

> w ruby's bigdecimal, you can be precise as much as you want (limit is on the computer's power and the programmer's imagination). it's being used not only in business but also in scientific labs (that is as far as what i've heard fr ruby jap gossip/chat rooms)

As a matter of fact, the BigDecimal library comes with some scientific
routines as standard equipment, such as LU decomposition and Newton
iteration. That isn't a great surprise to me, having once earned a
living programming one of the most popular scientific machines ever, the
IBM 1620, which was a variable-length decimal computer. I don't
remember, but I think the SIMH project has an emulator:

http://simh.trailing-edge.com/