I haven't found a way to easily markup IRC transcripts in Markdown on
my Instiki install yet.  Hopefully this isn't a reason to go through
all my wiki pages and switch to Textile.

For an IRC transcript like this:

<johnsu01> M P r marks all the articles in the region with #
<johnsu01> M-& makes the next command apply to all marked articles
<johnsu01> M-U removes all marks (like the read mark)
<johnsu01> in gnus you can mark articles with # when you want commands
	   apply to more than one article
<johnsu01> the mark will disappear after the command is executed

The best markup I've found is to simple wrap the text in <pre>, </pre>
tags.  However, the usernames between the <, >'s always disappear when
rendered in HTML.  Is the only way to get the usernames not to
disappear is in HTML is to replace the <, >'s with &lt;, &gt;'s?  Can
I get Markdown do that for me?