Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Alex Young wrote:
>> I get this:
>>
>> gcc -Os -fomit-frame-pointer  -DRUBY_EXPORT   -rdynamic
>> -Wl,-export-dynamic -L.   main.o  libruby-static.a -ldl -lcrypt -lm   -o
>> miniruby
>> ./lib/fileutils.rb:1206: [BUG] Segmentation fault
>> ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13) [i686-linux]
>>
>> make: *** [.rbconfig.time] Aborted
>>
>> when I use those options.
>
> I think ruby *really* doesn't like to be built with optimizations. I
> believe the garbage collector in particular has problems with it.
>
> Andrew

This combination just compiled successfully on my Gentoo box:

znmeb@DreamGate ~/ruby-test/ruby-1.8.6-p36 $ set|grep CFLAGS
CFLAGS='-Os -march=athlon-tbird -fomit-frame-pointer'
znmeb@DreamGate ~/ruby-test/ruby-1.8.6-p36 $ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 (Gentoo 4.1.2)

Ruby 1.8.6-p36, gcc 4.1.2 and CFLAGS='-Os -march=athlon-tbird
-fomit-frame-pointer'

I doubt if the Athlon TBird piece is why mine worked and yours didn't.